Do you know how to replace the toilet fill valve?
Replacing a toilet fill valve is not difficult, but it does require you to make some preparations and have the right tools. Before getting started, be sure that your water supply has been turned off. Inspect the old valve for any signs of leaks or corrosion before removing it from the toilet tank lid. The new fill valve should come with two O-rings which should be replaced whenever replacing the fill valve.
The new fill valve should be positioned so the threaded end is pointing up and out of the tank. This will allow it to seal properly when placed in position on top of the toilet tank lid.
What Do You Need?
To replace a toilet fill valve, you’ll need:
- A wrench or adjustable pliers loosen the bolts attaching it to the toilet tank lid.
- A bucket for water that might leak out from under the old fill valve and can’t be turned off (or just turn on a nearby faucet).
- Replacement O-rings if needed. If your new fill valve doesn’t come with two, buy some now! You don’t want to have any leaks down there when done.
How to Choose A Best Toilet Fill Valve?
You need the best toilet fill valve to replace it with the old one. But what is the best way to buy the best one?
The best toilet fill valve will have a brass body. It’s important to get one that has an arrow on the top pointing up and out of the tank.
This will allow it to seal properly when placed in position on top of the toilet tank lid.
A good way to find out how easy or difficult a replacement is, you can check online for videos! If there are no videos, then call your local hardware store with any questions regarding parts needed for installation and how-to guides. Remember: always read instructions before installing anything as they may vary from brand to brand!
Step by Step Guide: How to Replace the Toilet Fill Valve?
So, now you have a new toilet fill valve. Okay, let’s go to replace it by following these steps:
Turn off the water supply at the shutoff valve behind the toilet tank. Remove old filler assembly by unscrewing bolts using an adjustable wrench or pliers. Inspect bolt threads in case they are corroded before installing new valves so as not to cause leaks. Place a bucket under the old valve if possible to catch any water that might leak out of it and can’t be turned off. Remove the old O-rings from both valves (the new one will come with two) so you don’t have leaks when done installing. Install new fill valve by screwing bolts in using an adjustable wrench or pliers until tight, then put on a new set of O-rings onto both valves; tighten them as well. Turn back on water supply at shutoff valve behind toilet tank and check for leaks around the base of filler assembly before replacing lid cover.
At A Glance to Replace Fill Valve
- Turn the water supply off behind the toilet tank and check for leaks around the base of the filler assembly before replacing the lid cover.
- If you see any new leaks, fix them by tightening bolts tighter or adding more O-rings to valve seals.
- The toilet should now fill properly when the handle is turned in position “F”.
- When done installing, tighten up all screws with an adjustable wrench or pliers before turning on water again. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere.
Note: These steps can be followed without removing old valves from their spot so as not to cause damage to floors or walls below where they might get pulled out if too forcefully pried at; just make sure you have enough room to work.
If you know the right way, this is an easy task. So, just follow these steps, then you can do the rest.
Do you have any other questions regarding how to replace the toilet fill valve?
Leave a comment below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.